April 15, 2014

Wickedly Good

The Wizard of Oz happens to be my favorite movie. I fell in love with it as a child, (except for when the Wicked Witch's face filled the television screen and scared me.) Actually, that scene still evokes memories of me peeking through my half closed eyes. I guess I am among the masses of adults who remembers it well, and children today who squirm as I did. However, I never stopped watching the movie as it appeared every year at the end of January on a Sunday night. Wearing pajamas and sitting on the living room carpet, how I dreamed I was Glinda with her beautiful pink sparkly gown and that crown... oh that crown and let's not forget her magical wand (sigh).
Last week, my Husband and I had the opportunity see the play "Wicked" on Broadway in New York City. It was without a doubt the best play I have ever seen. It is a story related to the "Wizard of Oz." And yet so very different than the movie. I was captivated from the very beginning, and my Husband and I are still talking about it. A deep and beloved story about friendship.  Below are some of the words from the song "For Good" sung by...well, I can't tell you. However, it is indeed beautiful. Should you have the opportunity to see this play on National Tour or wherever it appears near you, run don't walk. Enjoy.
          
"I know we will never meet again in this lifetime.
 So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you.
You'll be with me
Like a hand print on my heart.
And whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
by being my friend."



6 comments:

  1. Kathleen,
    I am going to take your recommendation and go see "Wicked" with John. I too grew up every year watching the movie. Loved Toto so much I owned a Cairn terrier!
    Thanks for posting your review.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Wicked when it toured Buffalo! I remember as a child watching it every year on TV and being so scared! How exciting to see in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen,
    I love the Wizard of Oz! I'm so glad that you got to see the play on Broadway in New York City. Yes, Glinda always made me smile. I can watch it a dozen times, like you, and find it so entertaining. I wish the play would come here, and I bet the one in New York is wonderful.

    By the way, in the picture of me and my friends, I'm the one in the middle in yellow, and in the other picture the one on the right in white.

    love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! We are definitely soul sisters! I love, love the Wizard of Oz and we saw Wicked here in Dallas last year!! I fell in love with it and I would love to see it again!
    You are so spot on with the review!
    Happy Easter,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome opportunity to see a stage play. I used to dance and act on the stage, and to deliver magical messages of joy was always what I loved best. Dear friend, thank you for coming by today. Peace and beauty to you as you spend the weekend with your family and friends. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathleen,
    I saw Wicked on Broadway and liked it so much I went again! So happy you were able to share the experience. I too have memories of watching The Wizard of Oz on network TV ONCE a year (shown in two nights). When my daughter Amanda was a small child we took her to see The Wizard of Oz on Broadway. It was her first play. She loved it and even got to meet the cast during intermission.
    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting.
~ Kathleen ~