February 8, 2010

Surround yourself...

with friends who support you.




I believe it is vital to our souls to have friendships. There is something I have always thought over the years, and that is: any two "friends" can go out and have a good time. It's the rainy days of being there that really count.

I love meeting women of all backgrounds. For me it is a learning experience in the world of life. No two people come to the table with the exact same personalities, life experiences, etc. They expand my world, and that is a growth factor for me.

We didn't move around as a family in my childhood. Therefore, college opened my eyes to the big 'ole beautiful world (academically and socially), and I fell in love with it. Over the years, I have met people whom I have forged a strong bond with. I have two gems that I have known since grade school, and wonderful women I have met while dipping my toes in the blogworld. As the years pass by, my thoughts and feelings about friends does not change. Friends are to be valued - a very important part of my life map, and I consider myself extremely fortunate.

When someone calls me their friend it is a gift, and I treasure it and try my best to feed it, so it continues to grow. I consider Allen to be my best friend, however, I also love the women friendships I have. Covet your girlfriends, they are a treasure trove.

21 comments:

  1. Well said!

    A very lovely post, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! There are few things in this world as precious as a good friend~ one that knows you well and still loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN!! I love how GOD has brought new friends into my life over the years.
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends are truly a gift and a treasure. I remember hearing, when I was young, "If you've got one or two good friends, consider yourself blessed." That, I have learned, is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy a beautiful post- brought me to tears. It is friends that are there for the rain and sun.

    I to heard of the same saying as Deidra growing up. Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deidra/Joyce: My Father use to say that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right on! I don't know what I would do without my best friend and my sister (my other best friend). There is nothing like girlfriends.

    Thanks for commenting on my guest post at Jumping Tandem today -- and it's nice to come on over here and meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Graceful: stop by anytime. You are most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely! And aren't we lucky to live in a world where we can stay in such regular touch despite distance?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i feel the same...we are so lucky to have each other as friends...even here in this blogworld...you're all the BEST..

    rain or shine..we are here for each other

    sending love to you today, my friend
    kary
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto- Wondering if you spotted the wonderful "Before I die" article in the WSJ by Edmund J.Carpenter - he wrote it at the age of 17, he wanted greatness, friends, travel, love and sorrow- all so incredibly insightful and tender at 17 to know this.
    I love my friends and love being there through thick and thin,
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right that friends are very precious. We only need a very few, and I also love making new friends, including here in blog land.
    Terra
    "If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I would walk in my garden forever." Alfred Lord Tennyson

    ReplyDelete
  13. True and a wonderful reminder.

    I consider you one, although we don't meet often, we connect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, so well said. My friends mean so much to me -- we take them for granted but we never should. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So true. It is easy to get busy and lose sight of their value. I try to assign my friends days of the week to make sure I make contact by phone or outing. I try to make it as important as anything else I do in my life. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen to that. In fact I'll soon be putting on my snow boots...my two gems are taking me out for dinner tonight. :-) So your post is very timely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kathleen...saw you at Farmhouse today and just wanted to say thanks for stopping by, my friend

    i'll be back soon,
    kary
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting.
~ Kathleen ~