August 10, 2009

Honesty



Last Saturday I lost my wallet. I put it on top of the roof of my car in order to get things straightened out in the back seat, and forgot to retreive it before pulling away. My purple wallet went for a ride. I did not know it was missing for about five miles, until I arrived at my destination. I then could feel that sick feeling come over me. Instantly, I thought of my drivers license, credit cards, money, car registration; all the items that require alot of telephone calls and filling out of forms, not to mention the infamous motor vechicle agency.

I back tracked my driving, to no avail. I then immediately called the two cc companies and stopped the cards. When I proceeded to call my bank about my debit card, the nice Manager told me there was a license and registration card with my name on it at the bank branch. Someone had brought it to him. I was extremely grateful that at least that part of my wallet was recovered, however, I was still feeling sad about my purple wallet, and its other contents.

Later that afternoon upon returning home, we saw a note from a Policeman in our mailbox, requesting us to call the station in another town. The wallet had been found, and I had to show identification. Tears came to my eyes, purely out of joy. Someone returned my purple wallet. We dashed over there, signed the release form, and guess what? Everything was still in tact. My credit cards, money, library card, health card, etcetera . The wallet was found by a gentleman who saw it on the road about a mile from where we live. It has a few rubs on it, but it now is my lucky charm.

I already placed a call to his home, and thanked his wife. Needless to say, I plan on sending this gentleman a big thank you note. I admit, that I did not expect to see my wallet again or its belongings. However, a very nice person found it and did the "right" thing. I thank you Mr. K. for showing your strong character of honesty.

18 comments:

  1. Honestly...I love it when stuff turns out like that. Your wallet is lovely and now, I'm sure, much loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice story. It warms my heart to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!!
    Thank you for sharing this woman's beautiful gesture of kindness with all of us.
    Please stop by arise 2 write and pick up the neno's award. I did not get your blog link in the list, but I want you to have it. I simply ran out of steam when posting. You are an encouragement to me each time I come to your blog. Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got your wallet back. I can imagine how frantic you were. My husband lost his ATM card a few months ago and we were in quite the panic. It turns out he left it in the ATM machine (how he did that I'll never know!) and it was locked in the machine. I never knew the machine would keep the card if you didn't pull it out within a specified amount of time.

    It's nice to hear that there are still honest people in the world. Good job Mr. K for doing the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've lost my bag and The Guy his wallet and both have been returned. I think people are more honest than we give them credit for.
    Glad you stopped by Beach House, drop by again anytime...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this warm story. So glad you got it back! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this story. A couple of years ago I lost my wallet in a Boston cab. I was frantic as I was carrying around a good sum of cash, a C.C. and all of my i.d.'s.
    It was a weekend away of early holiday shopping. Imagine my surprise a few hours later when the cab driver knocked on the door where I was staying-with my fully-loaded wallet. Nothing missing!
    I gave him a nice reward and lots of thanks. So nice to know there are still lots of honest people around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that purple wallet and your wonderful story. So glad you have it back. Kudos to Mr. K!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh thank GOODness for mr. k and his honesty ... it is such a sick feeling to lose a wallet or purse ~ i am so happy that you are now feeling glee!
    prairiegirl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course you have a purple wallet! I bet one of your favorite books growing up was Harold and the Purple Crayon, it was one of mine and I am pretty sure we might have been separated at birth.

    I trust people and honestly feel that if you live a true and just life these type of things will happen. I would bet the farm on you going to any length to get someone's lost item back to them. What a great big smile that brought to my day, I want to thank that man too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for you!! And happy for kind souls that do the right thing. What a difference kindness and goodness makes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it comforting to know there are honest people in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful story! Mr. K may you be blessed a 100 folds over. For the bank to have your bank card and license, does this mean he went to your bank too? This is really a neat and happy ending. What a ride your purple wallet had. Many hugs... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Father loves to boast about how "trust" and "honesty" are what makes America as well as people live in harmony. I love looking for good and I recently returned a wallet that I found on a walk. I went straight to our Police department with it for them to contact the wallet's owner.
    Glad your wallet found you!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for renewing our faith in our fellow humans! Glad everything turned out so well -- plus you have a new lucky charm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's wonderful that you got your wallet back and with all its contents intact! A big relief - I know too well that sick feeling that comes when you realize something important has been lost. What a wonderful story in todday's world of cynicism and apathy! Mr. K is very kind, a kindred spirit for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy your wallet was returned safe and sound! I know just how you felt! That happened to me on my birthday some years ago now ...was visiting my sister in Conn. at the time and had a list of phone numbers in it. The finder of the wallet recognized a local number and called it. Also, several years ago, my husband lost the cell phone...it had fallen off his belt one evening while we were walking on a beach 20 miles south of where we live. A tourist found it in the wet sand and brought it to their home in upper state NY. and went to a cell phone store to unlock it....saw a phone number in it that said Home and called! That was about 4 days after we discovered it missing and we were so happy!
    ps. thanks for you wonderful e-mail...it is a very emotional time and your kind words helped!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, YAY! Happy ending...phew! Just like when I recently left my purse on the bus. Panic! It totally warms my heart to know there are still honest, good people out there.

    And p.s. I totally love that you have a PURPLE wallet, lol! ;-)

    Hope your summer's going swimmingly otherwise. I'm very behind...in everything! But particularly blogging. Happy to be back!

    xo, Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting.
~ Kathleen ~