August 1, 2009

My Younger Brother...



The above photo is of my younger brother Ross, when he was approximately six or seven years years of age. He was missing two front teeth, and combined with a bow tie, I think he looks adorable. At the time of course, I did not think anything of the sort. I mentioned we were siblings, right? We did have our squabbles (like all siblings), however, we were good play buddies.



Spin the clock forward many years, and here we are in Arizona, where he resides. I had on my bolla tie to look the part of a tourist, and a wicked sunburn, of which I no longer get. When visiting Arizona, one must purchase at least something turquoise, coral, silver or a combination thereof.

Ross and I grew up together. Let me explain. My parents had my older brother Dan and sister Mariann. My parents had moved when my sister was ten years of age, and my Mother wanted to start a new family again (with the same husband). So they had me, and then my Mother's belief was that I would need a play buddy, and she was oh, so right. If Ross was not born, and with my older brother and sister being ten and twelve years my senior, I would not have had anyone in our immediate family to grow up with. So eighteen months later, Ross was born. Thanks for your foresight, Mom!

Ross continues to live in Arizona,where he has rooted himself. He strongly dislikes the cold weather, snow shovels, gloves and jackets. My brother is a man who enjoys living in the southwest.

He has one of the best laughs I have ever heard. He speaks with a deep voice, however, his laugh reminds me of Ross as a kid - at least to me. It must be all the memories flooding my mind, and it makes me miss him all the more. So Ross, if you are reading this, I love you!

15 comments:

  1. Oh that is incredibly sweet and touching, how perceptive and sensitive of your parents too. Knowing what I know about you, I'm sure your family love and appreciate you just as much if not more, xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious post. I had two sisters...one tragically killed at 17. I am the oldest and she was the youngest. Ever since her death, my middle sis and I committed to never allow anything to come between us. We are best friends. Geographically, she lives MANY miles from me, but we love each other with a love only GOD could give us.
    Blessings and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to meet your brother and to see a photo of you!
    I have two brothers: one seven years younger than I, and another 15 years younger. In spite of the age differences (and geographical differences), we are very close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom is a kind and smart woman! It's wonderful you had a brother to grow up with. He's adorable! And his sunburn looks way worse than yours in that photo! It's too bad he lives far away from you, but you have a warm weather place to visit the brother you love! What's his take on scorpions & tarantulas? (the reason Arizona is not on my top 10 list of places to visit).
    You are an amazing woman & it's wonderful that you wrote this post. Thank you!

    I hope you're enjoying your weekend :o)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post! Thank you so much for sharing -- you and your brother are lucky to have each other. And I love your tie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet note about your brother! You would have been lonely without a little companion. Siblings are such a special part of life - my own are like my built-in best friends and I am so thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing like brotherly love...I love my brother, who is about 10 years younger than me, but one of the more calming elements within my world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have 3 brothers and 3 sisters and each one are special to me. Each day, I shake my head in awe of my Mother and how she raised "7" - of us. Your brother looks like a keeper!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first photos is so cute of him and his wonderful grin. Also the photo of you and him! I can feel the love you have for him. I hope Ross was able to read what you wrote about him. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post. I loved hearing about your family and lovely tribute to your brother. Love seeing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice post! maybe a should write something as nice about my twin brother WAU:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the school picture of Ross, so cute!

    You're lucky that your parents planned things the way they did. My brothers are much older than I am. When I was growing up, sometimes I felt like an only child because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet post.it seems to me that you would have liked to have a husband,copy of Ross.Am I right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting.
~ Kathleen ~