October 16, 2008

Mr. "C"

I've been friends with a girl name Debbie since the sixth grade. When she came into my classroom on the first day of school, we immediately bonded, and have been friends ever since. She's one of the most thoughtful and kind human beings that I could ever ask to have as a friend. Now, I've known Debbie's family for as long as I've known her; let me put it in years - 39 to be exact. Her Father always enjoyed kidding around with me about everything. When I would ring their house doorbell, he'd answer it and say "we gave at the office" and shut the door. One time when I was going there to swim in their super deluxe pool, he answered the door, asked me if I had a club membership card. When I replied "no" he shut the door. He then would re-open the door with a smile on his face. The next weekend, he gave me a club membership card he had printed up. I always enjoyed those times, and vividly remember them with a smile.
Once he took Debbie and I up in his airplane, and was so very concerned about my weakness for motion sickness. We flew along the shoreline, stopped to have breakfast, and flew back to the local airport. What an event that was for me! I didn't stop telling people about it for weeks (until I caught on that they were tired of hearing about it). Mr. "C" as I liked to call him is just a great man, a devoted Husband and a terrific Father.
He's having some difficulties in the hospital with his heart and lungs. It's a scary time for all of us, especially for his wife and three daughters. I'm trying to help Debbie in any way I can, but somehow the words just aren't enough. She listened to me cry uncontrollably when my Father was dying, and she cried with me. I know now this is my turn to cry with her. Life can be so bittersweet. I went to a wedding on Sunday, and laughed and danced. Today, (four days later),I am trying to figure out how best to help my best friend, as she watches her Father. I am a firm believer that when the sun shines, soak it in like a juicy peach. Life moves fast, it really does. Mr "C" - I'll always have a SPECIAL spot in my heart for you!
With love,
Kathy

5 comments:

  1. Goodness. I'm sorry you are going through a difficult time.

    I saw your comment on Cindy's blog (I'm the one who gave her the smile award) and I remember how much I coveted comments when I first began my blog. Just wanted to say welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you impoverished preppy. I have been wondering if I am talking to myself lately. Thank you for your regards and kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your friend. I have a lifelong friend like that myself, though she has NO relationship with her parents, and I can't say I have fond memories of them from our childhood. However, for my friend, Julie, my mom was like a surrogate. When Mom fell suddenly, gravely ill and was dying, Julie was on the first plane back to Ohio. She stayed by my side, took me to the doctor (I was newly pregnant and not eating, suffering a combination of intense grief, stress, and morning sickness) and spent some alone time with her Peaches (her nickname for my mom.) These kinds of friendships are precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Midnight:
    It is very special to grow with a friend from childhood into adult years. Sometimes, words don't express ones' feelings. However, a hug or touch of the arm can gently reassure someone that they are not alone. I will be there for her, even when there are no words left to say.
    Thanks for stopping Midnight!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting.
~ Kathleen ~