December 28, 2009

Time for Reflection


Illustrated by Susan Branch

In addition to Christmas Eve and Christmas, I also love the days that follow up to New Years' Eve. All the crazy timelines have been met, and I find myself in my favorite chair taking stock of what the holidays meant to me this year. It could be different from year to year, however, I think most people would include family and friends as an integral part of the holiday season. I know I do.

I like to reflect, even if it's just from a few days ago. Christmas night before dessert, we opened the paper crackers that "pop" when you open them. Before we knew it,we were all wearing fun style hats (mostly King and Queen styles). Conversations would change, and I would find myself smiling, because the topics were different from the style of hats on our heads. It was great!

Reflecting on the past year is something I do, but for a brief period only. I'd rather look in the moment than behind. However, I think it's important for me to take stock, and see where I was, and where I am now. It is sort of a spiritual journey, not meant to be an inventory of collectibles. I am interested to see how much I've grown in mind and spirit. And the days before the New Year are a perfect time for this type of reflecting.

So, here I go to try and get as comfy as the illustration above, by the wonderful and talented Susan Branch. Happy Holidays to all!

7 comments:

  1. I love Susan Branch illustrations. I agree-this is the perfect time to wind down from the busy work of Christmas. This is a week to relax, be lazy and to reflect. I do a fair amount of writing this week. Hints for next Christmas, small changes to make in daily life and all of the many blessings to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to take this time to look toward the future. I believe GOD has great things for all of us.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your sentiments, and I agree. Happy New Year to you and yours! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful thought and a wonderful illustration. happy New Years! Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful post.

    I tend to get a little too wrapped up in emotions this time of year. I have gotten better at looking ahead and trying to make my life and the world a little bit better each year. And if I can accomplish that, then another good year will be under my belt.

    Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree, I am keeping my cards in a bowl out to look at every month. They make me smile!
    pve

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting.
~ Kathleen ~